Guide to Prepare for Hurricane Hilary - Southern California
Preparing for a Category 5 Hurricane: A Comprehensive Guide
When a Category 5 hurricane is on the horizon, time is of the essence. These powerful storms bring with them catastrophic winds, torrential rain, and life-threatening storm surges. Preparation is critical not only to protect your property but, more importantly, to ensure the safety of your family and yourself. Here's a concise guide to help you prepare:
1. Stay Informed:
- Monitor local news and weather channels. Trusted sources such as the National Hurricane Center (NHC) will provide regular updates and advisories.
- Download weather apps. These can give real-time notifications and tracking.
2. Evacuate if Advised:
- Listen to local authorities. If they recommend or mandate evacuation, do so promptly.
- Plan your route. Know multiple routes in case one is blocked.
- Inform someone. Let a family member or friend outside the danger zone know where you're headed.
3. Create an Emergency Kit: Stock up on essentials including:
- Water and non-perishable food for at least three days (one gallon of water per person per day).
- Medications and a first aid kit.
- Flashlights, extra batteries, and a battery-operated radio.
- Important documents (insurance, medical records, bank account numbers) in a waterproof container.
- Cash (as ATMs might be down).
- Chargers for your devices, possibly solar or battery-powered.
4. Secure Your Home:
- Install storm shutters or board up windows using plywood.
- Clear your yard of any potential flying debris such as lawn furniture, tools, and toys.
- Secure doors.
- Consider installing a sump pump if flooding is a concern.
5. Plan for Pets:
- Have a pet emergency kit with food, water, and medications.
- Ensure your pet has a secure carrier or leash.
- Know pet-friendly shelters or hotels on your evacuation route.
6. Protect Your Vehicle:
- Fill up the gas tank. Gas stations could run out or lose power.
- Store it in a garage or secure area if possible.
- Avoid parking under trees or in low-lying areas prone to flooding.
- Establish a communication plan with family. Everyone should know who to contact and where to meet if separated.
- Use text or social media to let others know you're safe. Phone lines might be jammed.
8. Be Cautious After the Storm:
- Stay indoors until local authorities declare it's safe.
- Avoid floodwaters. They may be contaminated or electrically charged.
- Inspect your home for damage. Document any issues for insurance claims.
- Be wary of fallen power lines and report them to the utility company.
A Category 5 hurricane is an extreme weather event, but with thorough preparation, you can significantly increase your chances of weathering the storm safely. Remember, while possessions can be replaced, lives cannot. Safety first!
Tackling Mold Growth after Rains
Rainy days bring much-needed water to our gardens and help cool down warm temperatures. However, they can also bring an unwanted guest into our homes: mold.
The problem with mold is that it thrives in damp conditions. When heavy rains strike, water can find its way into your home through leaks in your roof or windows, or even through your home's foundation. These damp conditions are a breeding ground for mold spores, which can rapidly multiply and spread if left unchecked.
Not only is mold unsightly, but it can also cause serious health issues, such as respiratory problems, allergic reactions, and in severe cases, even neurological damage. Furthermore, it can cause substantial structural damage to your home, affecting its value and livability.
At SERVPRO of Arcadia, we understand the urgency of addressing mold problems. If you've recently experienced heavy rain and are worried about potential mold growth, our team of certified experts is ready to help.
Our comprehensive mold remediation process begins with a thorough inspection to detect any signs of mold. We then isolate the affected areas to prevent the spores from spreading during the removal process. Our team utilizes advanced techniques and equipment to thoroughly clean and treat the area, ensuring the mold is eliminated.
But we don't stop there. At SERVPRO of Arcadia, we believe in proactive prevention. We'll help identify areas in your home vulnerable to water damage and provide you with effective strategies to prevent future mold growth.
Remember, mold is more than an unsightly nuisance. It's a potential health hazard and a sign of water damage. After the rain, don't let mold spoil the freshness. Call on SERVPRO of Arcadia – your partner in mold remediation and water damage restoration.
"Like it never even happened"
SERVPRO of Arcadia's various equipment
Experiencing water damage in your home can be an overwhelming ordeal. The immediate aftermath is a scene of chaos - dampness, destruction, and disorder. But what if you could rewind the clock and make it look "Like it never even happened"?
At SERVPRO of Arcadia, that's exactly the service we offer. We are a full-service water mitigation company, skilled in transforming a water-damaged space back to its original state, or even better.
Our process starts with a meticulous inspection to uncover the depth and extent of the water damage. Not only do we seek out the visible signs of damage, but our team is also trained to identify hidden problems, which, if untreated, could lead to further complications down the line.
Once we understand the full scope of the damage, we leap into action with swift water extraction and drying. Utilizing state-of-the-art equipment, we work to halt the damage in its tracks, preventing further degradation and eliminating the threat of mold growth.
Following the drying phase, we focus on cleaning and sanitizing. This step is crucial in ensuring your home is not only dry but also safe, as it eliminates potential health risks that often accompany water damage.
Finally, we embark on the reconstruction phase. This is where our promise of "Like it never even happened" truly comes to life. Our experienced team of builders and artisans work diligently to restore your home, down to the smallest details, making the damage a thing of the past.
But our dedication to your home's wellbeing extends beyond immediate restoration. We also provide advice and resources to help you prevent future water damage, ensuring your home stays dry, safe, and comfortable.
At SERVPRO of Arcadia, we don't just restore buildings; we restore peace of mind. So, when water damage strikes, trust us to make it "Like it never even happened."
Water Damages in the Summer
Summertime: the season of sunshine, barbecues, and family vacations. However, for many homeowners, it can also be a season of unexpected water damage. Whether from unpredictable storms, increased humidity, or HVAC system leaks, summer brings its own set of water-related challenges.
While rainstorms are usually less frequent in summer, they often come as heavy downpours that can quickly overwhelm gutters and seep into basements. Regularly cleaning your gutters can mitigate this risk, but sometimes the volume of water is simply too much to handle. In these cases, our team at SERVPRO of Arcadia is here to assist with swift and comprehensive water damage restoration services.
Additionally, your air conditioning unit can be a significant source of water damage in the summer months. With constant use, the condensation line can easily get blocked, leading to leaks or even a full-blown flood. Regular maintenance checks are crucial to prevent such situations.
But, when the unexpected does occur, don't despair. Our expert team has the skills and technology to handle any water damage situation. We offer efficient drying, cleaning, and restoration services, using state-of-the-art equipment to ensure your home is returned “Like it never even happened” and as quickly as possible.
Remember, water damage doesn't take a summer vacation, but with proactive measures and a reliable restoration partner in SERVPRO of Arcadia, you can enjoy a worry-free season.
Most Common House Fire Causes
Most Common Home Fires
Tragic fires have no bounds, they spread quickly and give no mind to your personal items and documents. As a top restoration company SERVPRO of Arcadia will be there to help restore your home and structure as if it never even happened. In extreme cases, we even do our best to restore some of your most important documents back to normal! In any case, no one enjoys their home catching fire so let's go over the most common causes so you can avoid any tragedies.
Here are the Top 5 Causes of Fires:
- Cigarettes - The reason this is at the top of the list is because it can be tragic for the person smoking. Most times it is because a person fell asleep with one in their hand. Sometimes a smoker may throw a lit cigarette into dry plants.
- Cooking - Accidents happen all the time in the kitchen, a towel may catch fire, you may over cook your food, water and oil may mix and cause large fires, and even cooking in the oven and forgetting the oven on.
- Candles - Dropping one near flammable items or lighting one near towels and plants.
- Space Heaters - Leaving these unattended can be detrimental depending on the flooring in your home.
- Electrical Fires - Get your wiring checked once a year to check for shorts and faults. Sometimes these fires can cause huge damages and the start quickly because they are almost hidden.
How does SERVPRO handle my items
When a water damage occurs it not only can destroy the structure of your home but your precious belongings may be affected also.
Our skilled team here at SERVPRO of Arcadia take the time to restore your belongings as best as possible.
Here are a few ways in which we do this:
Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
For more in depth information on how we clean your items please check out https://www.SERVPRO.com/resources/water-damage/your-belongings-and-water-damage
Why Choose SERVPRO?
Here to help ANYTIME!
Everyday someone's home suffers some sort of unforeseen damages. Whether the damages come from a chicken fire in the oven, flooding in the restroom or laundry room, even mold damages, SERVPRO of Arcadia is always available to help!
We understand that when damages occur it can become very overwhelming and stressful. Here at SERVPRO we are here to help at all times, day and night. Our SERVPRO technicians take pride in being at any job location within the first hour of receiving the distress call. This first hour could be crucial to help mitigate damages from continuing and worsening. The sooner we are out the property the better the chances are of us salvaging your contents and structure.
We are open 24/7 for emergency services!
SERVPRO of Arcadia (626)447-4128
Even though we live in sunny California, we still get our fair share of rain in the winter time. Might not feel like much, but with the right amount of rain in even one day, floods can happen if you are not prepared.
Floods can come in through damaged roofs, causing roof leaks. Rain can also enter and flood your home if your windows have been improperly sealed or through door thresholds.
It is hard to really think about preparing for rain when we get so little of it but it is always better to be overly cautious then under prepared.
Here are a few tips SERVPRO would like to provide for you:
- Make sure all windows and sliding doors are shut before rainfall, if you are going out of town especially. Rain can happen at random in California and you want to be ready.
- Check your gutters and make sure they are cleared.
- Make sure all door thresholds are properly sealed.
In the case of a home emergency give SERVPRO of Arcadia a call and we will be there to help!
Keep your home safe during the holidays!
With Christmas only days away SERVPRO of Arcadia would like to share some tips to keep your home safe from any possible fire damages.
Your Christmas tree is the biggest factor to be aware of during this season, more so if you plan to have your tree up longer than a month.
- Make sure to always keep your Christmas tree watered and spray the leaves as well; tree fires most commonly occur when the tree is too dry.
- Keep your tree places away from all flames such as fireplaces, stoves, and space heaters.
- Be sure to keep candles away from your tree at all times.
- Try not to use more than 3 stands of holiday lights in order not to over load the outlets.
As always, SERVPRO of Arcadia is open 24/7 even on Christmas to help in the unfortunate event of fires, water damages and more. Call (626)447-4128 for any questions or assistance.
Tips on Storm Damage
"Keep your eye on the storm"
Did you know that floods are the most common natural disaster in the U.S.?
Heavy rainstorms can cause significant flooding, overflowing levees or dams, contributing to flash floods and mudslides. Although, California does not commonly experience heavy rain from time to time. This could potentially put property like your home or business at risk.
Tips to help avoid flooding for your home or business:
- Prepare your property by installing rain gutters and other drainage systems. (Clean out rain gutters frequently.)
- Understanding the flood risk in your area and fix any leaks IMMEDIATELY.
- Extra roof protection by investing and installing a rubber roof underlayment (waterproof barrier that goes under the shingles and protects the roof from water intrusion).
Tips for drivers during the rainy season
- Avoid cruise control (This feature works great in dry conditions, but when used in wet conditions, the chance of losing control of the vehicle can increase).
- When driving, slow down and leave room in front of you (slowing down suddenly during wet conditions is critical and can increase a car’s chance of hydroplaning).
If you do experience flood damage in your home or business SERVPRO of Arcadia is here to help leave it, "Like it never even happened."
Call us at (626)447-4128